S'mores Cookie Bars
Prep: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature*
3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
1 cup (100g) graham cracker crumbs (about 9 full-sheet graham crackers)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 heaping cup marshmallow creme (store-bought “Fluff” or 1/2 recipe of homemade marshmallow creme)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8×8 or 9×9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on the sides to easily remove the bars when they have cooled. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl using handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar together on medium-high speed, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed. Mixture may appear curdled and that’s ok.
3. Whisk the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and then beat on medium speed until combined.
4. Press/spread 2/3 of the graham cookie dough into prepared pan. (Doesn’t have to be exact, just eyeball it.) It will be a thin layer and the dough is sticky, so use your hands if needed. Spread the marshmallow creme evenly on top. This will be tricky since the marshmallow creme is sticky, but do the best you can to get an even layer. Layer chocolate chips evenly on top. Mold the remaining cookie dough into flat pieces and layer on top of the chocolate chips, as pictured and shown in the video above. You won’t have enough dough to make one single layer, so some chocolate chips/marshmallow will be exposed.
5. Bake the bars for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack. Cool bars completely.
6. Lift the bars out using the parchment paper overhang on the sides. Cut into squares.
7. Cover and store leftover bars at room temperature for up to 1 week.