1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cream butter until smooth, add both sugars and cream further. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and salt and mix until light and creamy.
2. Sift together flour and baking soda. Add flour in one step to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
3. Divide dough in approximately 2 equal halves. (Does not have to be perfect.)
4. For white chocolate version add white chocolate chips, macadamia nuts and dried cranberries. Mix until just combined.
5. For dark chocolate version add pecans and dark chocolate chips. Mix until just combined.
6. Scoop dough using a medium size ice cream scoop.6
Place on a parchment or buttered cookie sheets.
7. Bake until edges are light golden brown, about 11-13 minutes. The cookies will firm as they cool and will have a scrumptious chewy center and crisp edges.
8. For caramel, combine brown sugar, milk, salt, and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Keep stirring for approximately 5 minutes.
9. Drop some hot caramel on a plate to verify the consistency. Once cool, if it is firm and holds its shape remove it from heat and add vanilla. Otherwise cook slightly longer.
10. Drizzle cookies with warm caramel. If desired, sprinkle white chocolate chip cookies with a few pistachios and dark chocolate chip cookies with a few chocolate chips.