1. Beat butter until very light and creamy.
2. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg, vanilla and salt and beat until very well combined.
4. Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together and add in one step to above. Mix until dough forms. Do not over mix.
5. Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Add cherries, water, honey, and 1/4 cup sugar to a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Let simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cornstarch. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, let cool.
7. Spray muffin tin with non-stick butter spray.
8. Take 1 1/2 tablespoons of chilled dough and roll into a ball. Use thumbs to press ball into a bowl shape. Press cookie dough bowl into muffin pan.
9. Continue until muffin pan is full.
10. Bake for 6 minutes.
11. Remove from oven. Use back of spoon to make a well in the dough, press dough back into a cup/bowl shape.
12. Spoon 1 tablespoon cherry filling (2-3 cherries) into middle of cookie dough. Continue until entire mini muffin pan is full.
13. Roll remaining dough flat and cut into thin strips. Use dough strips to make mini lattice crusts and add to top of each cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with Sugar.
14. Bake 14 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack before removing cookie from muffin tin.